Last week, a few members of the Georgia Tech Invention Studio (a.k.a Bizarro World MITERS) came to visit MIT and to cross-spread the
love good word engineering lunacy. This is the result.
This is a cross-post from muffin’s blog!
Over the weekend, Dan disassembled a laser printer that he found in the trash. He was able to tear it down to the point where he could fit a board in the (quite linear) print path and gave it a go. To his dismay, the board jammed and nicked the heating drum. I came over and we decided that by removing a metal guide and chamfering the edge of the circuit board, we’d have better luck – and we did! The print quality turned out pretty good, but the toner wasn’t fusing to the board. We figured that it was either a heat/pressure issue or a charge issue and called it a night.
The next day, Dan and I went to [miters](http://miters.mit.edu) to improve the process. We tried a whole slew of ideas include charge compensation, increasing roller pressure, and pre-heating the boards to get the toner to fuse. The last one did the trick. Although print quality isn’t 100% there yet, we’re certain that we can hammer out those last pixels and get this process rolling. We etched my first lab in 6.331 – a 4MHz 50-ohm line driver with 2 watts of output power.
More to come next weekend!
Like supermanning a moped…
So we put a 3d printer on your…
Actually, just watch the video.
For more info on Make-A-Bot, see Charles’s Interblorg.
And a potential market for annoying vehicle ringtones.